In keeping with diocesan policy, the Office for Archives and Records Management allows genealogical research to:
- Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation records created before January 1, 1923
- Marriage records created before January 1, 1953
- Death records created before January 1, 1976
Records created after these dates are NOT available for genealogical research. Access to these records is restricted to the recipient of the sacrament. If you need to request your own records, please see our Sacramental Records Request page found here.
Some parishes may maintain a register of the funerals or deaths of their members. The Catholic Church does NOT maintain death certificates (please contact the Illinois Department of Public Health for civil death records).
The Archives accepts genealogical requests submitted using our online form or by mail. Telephone requests are not accepted. Genealogists can request up to 5 (five) specific names and sacraments with each submission. The requester will be provided with an unofficial certificate of a specific record requested whenever possible. Genealogical certificates are stamped “unofficial, for genealogical research only”. For appropriate reasons, official certificates may be requested.
The Archives can only search for specific requests and is not able to research general family trees.
- The fee for genealogical research is $20.00 per request. A request includes up to one hour of research and an unofficial certificate for one requested record (if available). Additional certificates are available for a fee.
- Additional certificates (beyond the 1 certificate included in the initial request fee) are available at a cost of $10 per certificate.
- Any additional research required to fulfill a request (beyond the 1 hour included in the initial request fee) will cost $20 per hour or any part of an hour.
- If you are requesting information for more than one person, please submit one form per person.
- Payment is not refundable. When a record is not found, a research report will be issued. If a record is not found at the parish identified in the request, the Archives will attempt to search the records of nearby parishes to locate the record.
Please allow approximately 4-6 weeks for requests to be processed.
Fees and Payment
The fee for genealogical research is $20 per request (includes up to one hour of research and an unofficial certificate for one requested record if available). This fee covers the cost of the research, certificate creation (when possible), and postage. Payment is required even if the search does not yield any results. Additional certificates are $10 per certificate. Additional research is $20 per hour.
Methods of payment:
By credit card or echeck, using our secure transaction form found here.
By bank check or money order made payable to the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois, mailing it to:
Diocese of Springfield in Illinois
1615 W. Washington St.
Springfield, IL 62702
We do NOT accept personal checks.
Requests can be submitted in person at the Catholic Pastoral Center, 1615 W. Washington St., Springfield, IL 62702. Cash will be accepted with in person requests.
Can You Do Your Own Research in the Archives
Not at this time. Please check back to see when we have restored full genealogy services.