Policy and Procedures
Policy and Procedures
Diocesan policies are broad and comprehensive norms and directives which affect the entire Diocese. The policies of the Diocese flow from and are consistent with the mission of the Diocese of Springfield.
Internal operating procedures, practices, rules and guidelines of individual schools, parishes and agencies shall not contradict Diocesan Policy.
There are five volumes of the Diocese of Springfield’s Policies and Procedures, following the structure of the first five books of the Catholic Church’s Code of Canon Law.
Book One – General Norms, Accountability, and Ecclesiastical Processes: This book addresses the formation of Diocesan policies and the administration of parishes, schools, agencies and programs of the Diocese of Springfield.
Book Two- The People of God (Personnel Policies): This book addresses personnel policies for all Diocesan employees. Specific sections address school personnel, Catechesis personnel, pastoral associates and coordinators, priests and deacons.
Book Three- The Teaching Office of the Church (Catholic Schools, Catechesis and Communications): This book addresses the administration of all elementary and high schools within the Diocese, as well as Catechetical instruction and communication policies.
Book Four- The Sanctifying Office of the Church (Sacramental and Liturgical Life): This book addresses the preparation for and celebration of the sacraments, faculties and permissions for performing the sacraments and policies for sacramental record keeping.
Book Five- The Temporal Goods of the Church (Administrative, Financial and Legal): This book addresses the properties and possessions of the Diocese of Springfield. Specific attention is paid to parish banking, contracts, exemptions and charitable gifts.
The approval of new and updated policies is documented on the Recent Policy Revisions page.
This book addresses the formation of Diocesan policies and the administration of parishes, schools, agencies and programs of the Diocese of Springfield.
- §100 Policies and Policy Development
- §400 Other Laws
- §600 Juridic Persons
- §700 Dispensations
- §800 Marriage Dispensations and Permissions
- §850 The Tribunal
- §900 Absence of Policy
- §1050 Administrative Recourse and Sacramental Readiness Review
- §1300 Diocesan Presbyteral Council
- §1100 Accountability and Compliance
- §1400 Parish Pastoral Councils
- §1500 The Diocesan Pastoral Council
- §1600 Diocesan College of Consultors
- §1800 Finance Councils
- §2000 The Bishop’s Administrative Team
- §2100 Sponsorship and Governance of Apostolic Works
- §2200 Awards, Honors and Invitations to Speakers or Organizations
- §2300 Political Activity and Voter Education
THE PEOPLE OF GOD (PERSONNEL POLICIES)
This book addresses personnel policies for all Diocesan employees. Specific sections address school personnel, Catechesis personnel, pastoral associates and coordinators, priests and deacons.
- §100 Clerical Sexual Abuse of Minors: Policy for Education, Prevention, Assistance, and Determination of Fitness for Ministry
- §100 Abuso Sexual De Menores Por Parte Del Clero: Normas De Educación, Prevención, Asistencia Y Determinación De La Capacidad Para El Ministerio
- §120 Policies and Procedures for the Operation and Support of the Special Panel on Clergy Misconduct
- §150 Clerical Personnel Record Keeping Policies
- §200 Policy on Working with Minors
- §200 Politicas Y Procedimientos Para Trabajar Con Menores
- §277 Policy Prohibiting the use of Social Media by Clergy in Connection to Violations of the Sixth Commandment of the Decalogue
- §300 Pastoral Facilitator
- §400 Seminary Expense Policy
- §500 Employment Relationships
- §503 Standards of Conduct
- §524 Leaves of Absence
- §525 Parental Leave
- §550 Policy Principal Place of Work Policy
- §600 Recruitment
- §605 Confidentiality
- §611 Alcohol and Other Intoxicants
- §650 Gender Identity (includes pastoral guide)
- §675 Copyright and Intellectual Property
- §700 Handbook of Policies and Procedures for the Permanent Diaconate for the Diocese of Springfield in Illinois
- §1100 Candidates in Formation for Clerical Ministry: Policies for the Education, Prevention, Assistance, and Procedures of Determination of Fitness for Clerical Ministry Formation
- §1100 Candidatos En Formacion Para El Ministerio Eclesiastico: Normas Para La Educacion, Prevencion, Asistencia Y Procedimientos De Determinacion De La Aptitud Para La Formacion Del Ministerio Eclesiastico
- §1150 Employment Issues
- §1200 Lay and Religious Employees and Volunteers Sexual Abuse of Minors: Policies for Education, Prevention, Assistance, and Procedures, for Determination of Fitness for Ministry, Employment or Volunteer Service
- §1200 Empleados Y Voluntarios Laicos Y Religiosos Abuso Sexual De Menores: Políticas De Educación, Prevención, Asistencia Y Procedimientos Para La Determinación De La Capacidad Para El Servicio De Ministros, Empleados O Voluntarios
- §1300 EEO Statement and Non-harassment
- §3800 The Mission of Diocesan Priests
- §3900 Priestly Assignment
- §4100 Pastor Emeritus
- §4200 Priests' Residence
- §4300 Priestly Development
- §4250 Priest Pet Policy
- §4800 Alcohol and Substance Dependency
- §5000 Senior Priests
- §5200 Extern Priests
- §5300 Incardination of Priests
THE TEACHING OFFICE OF THE CHURCH (CATHOLIC SCHOOLS, CATECHESIS AND COMMUNICATIONS)
This book addresses the administration of all elementary and high schools within the Diocese, as well as Catechetical instruction and communication policies.
- §100 Organization and Administration Policies
- §113 Standards of Conduct for Governing Boards
- §200 Fiscal Programs, Development and Physical Facilities
- §300 Personnel
- §400 Students
- §500 Instruction and Program
- §1700 Home Catechesis
THE SANCTIFYING OFFICE OF THE CHURCH (SACRAMENTAL AND LITURGICAL LIFE)
This book addresses the preparation for and celebration of the sacraments, faculties and permissions for performing the sacraments and policies for sacramental record keeping.
- §100 Liturgical Law Found in the Liturgical Books
- §150, Implementing the Motu proprio, Traditionis Custodes
- §200 The Baptismal Catechumenate
- §500 The Sacrament of Penance
- §900 Sacramental Records
- §1100 The Sacrament of Matrimony
- §1400 Order of Christian Funerals
- §1700 Faculties
THE TEMPORAL GOODS OF THE CHURCH (ADMINISTRATIVE, FINANCIAL AND LEGAL)
- This book addresses the properties and possessions of the Diocese of Springfield. Specific attention is paid to parish banking, contracts, exemptions and charitable gifts.
- §100 Civil and Canon Laws
- §700 Extraordinary Expenditures for Repairs Renovations or New Construction for Parishes Schools and Agencies
- §750 Accessibility for Persons with Disabilities to Worship and Participate Fully in the Life of the Parish and Community of Faith
- §800 Diocesan, Parish, School, and Agency Facilities Use
- §1000 Sales Tax Exemption
- §1900 Diocesan Finance Council
- §2000 The Parish Finance Council
- §2400 Legal Services
- §2600 Diocesan Records
- §3100 Collections
- §3300 Diocesan Assessments
- §3500 The Conflict of Interest Policy
- §3900 Internal Auditing
- §4100 Inventory
- §4200 Loans
- §4300 Parish, School, or Agency Credit Cards
- §4800 IRS Issues
- §4500 Electronic Communication Tools Policy
- §9000 Fundraising for Missions